mardi 30 octobre 2012

Say whaaaaaaat?!

Just for you my english friends. Here's a post you can finally read without placing it in the google translator. - Which probably gave you weird weird stories. 

I learned english when I was young by watching the Care bears in the morning (when my brother wasn't beating me to change the channel for the Power Rangers), Save by the bell after school and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air at dinner time. I'm not even kidding. That's how the three of us (brother & sister) learned it. 

Living in Edmonton two years ago really helped me as well. My friends probably thought I was so annoying with my questions that started with: How do you say ________ in english? And I would try to give a description of what I'm looking for. Let's say I'm looking for the word wall. I'd say: You know the thing that holds a house? You can paint it. Put frames on it. It's the thing between the floor and the ceiling. And it could go on and on like this with some girls that really tried to help me. Or not. 
Excuse me, but if you can't guess what I just described up there, you really don't want to put an effort to help me here. 

So with the years passing by, I learned. I still learn. Particularly my verb tenses. Uggghhh they are killing me. Especially after a summer in Québec. I always lose half of my knowledge. I still have my moments. My moments where I don't think about what I have to say in english and I just want to melt with the floor and disappear. Here's a sneak peek at some stupid things I've said. 

Walking into the grocery store...

Do you guys have anis here? (I totally pronounced it anus.) 

At Starbucks...

Do you have grounded coffee? (I guess I had to say ground coffee...)

At Target, looking for M&M's...


Where's your candy island? (Had to say candy isle.)

He honestly looked at me like I was on crack. 

At the grocery store again... (THE SAME ONE AS THE FIRST)

Do you guys have small cucumbers here? (I often start my sentences with do you guys have this or that. Not a good idea looking back at all these things I've said.)

The young guy turned red. I had no idea how to describe it other that saying small cucumber. I apologized and said do you carry small cucumbers?
Definitely more appropriate. 

The look on people's faces pretty much always looked like that.




I'm sure we all have our embarrassing moments. But I can always feel a little better by telling them I'm a french frog with the Shrek's cat's look. Always a winner.




:: Please note that I didn't googled or translated any of this text because that's what makes it ME, MY english. Caro's english. ::

2 commentaires:

  1. Please do more posts in English! I love it!! Miss you babes xo

    PS. I thought your English was fantastic!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Thanks Nik, I appreciate it!!! :) :)

    RépondreSupprimer